Saturday, July 26, 2008


My Quest for the Best BBQ in North Georgia Continues.......

Bub-Ba-Q in Jasper

Bub-Ba-Q in Jasper, Georgia by Mountainfreak Eat & Shop Ok..I am a BBQ nut. In the 6 months I've been writing for Mountainfreak.net, I have written about BBQ during 4 of those months. I am not sorry. It seems to feed on itself to a certain extent...I write about a BBQ joint or festival, and that seems to spawn suggestions of different BBQ joints and festivals to visit. Keep them coming, by the way.
I came to visit Bub-Ba-Q in Jasper following the advice of some good friends/readers, and I have found a contender for the best BBQ in the north Georgia mountains.
Bub-Ba-Q is well known on the BBQ contest circuit and has the trophies inside the restaurant that testify to their success. The restaurant is very welcoming and clean-with plenty of seating space among all the trophies. I had been told that Bub-Ba-Q has the best brisket in 3 states..but for the purposes of my quest I have been focusing on real southern BBQ, which is, as we all know, pork. Pulled pork to be specific, sampled with the house sauces and sides and big glass of sweet tea. Bub-Ba-Q did not disappoint in any of those areas. The pork was the best I have had in quite a while, and the best I have had so far in the mountain area. The pulled pork is smoky, but not overpoweringly so..moist, and well seasoned. I sampled the three sauces on the table and found good things with all 3. The mustard sauce was very good..tangy with just the right amount of vinegar. The hot sauce was very spicy with red pepper and also had a good balance of vinegar..very reminiscent of a North Carolina preparation. I generally like the sweet sauces the least, but I found Bub-Ba-Q's version to be very tasty with a bit of a smokey flavor. After playing around with the 3 for a bit I settled on a combo of the sweet and the mustard on the majority of my pork.
The beans and slaw that came with the pulled pork plate ($6.95) were very good and a fine compliment to my pork/sauce experimentation.
I am trying to think of a good reason to go to Jasper this month (perhaps John Sosebee playing at the 3 Sisters Cafe downtown?) so I can expand my knowledge of Bub-Ba-Q fare a bit..the chicken and ribs had great potential on the smoker in back (see above)..and the little bit of brisket I conned off the pit master was actually not bad;-) Carry out and Catering are available.

Bub-Ba-Q
1976 Hwy 53 W.
Jasper, GA 30143
706.692.7929

No comments: