Saturday, July 26, 2008

Good Food & Good Music in Helen


Bigg Daddy's in Helen has a reputation for being one of the better music venues in the north Georgia mountains..and with the huge deck and a full service bar, one of the better places to drink and mingle with both locals and tourists. Some good local and regional bands like Big City Sunrise, The Avery Dylan Project, Big Swig and others are regular performers inside..with ocassional Sunday shows on the deck. My son and I headed up to Bigg Daddy's a couple of weekends ago to see a Savannah band, Wormsloew. Since we had gotten up to Helen hungry and in need of some lunch..the decision was made to give the menu at Bigg Daddy's a shot.
We sat at the bar and ordered a burger for myself and steak quesadilla for the kid. I was immediately impressed when Zack, the bartender, asked me how I wanted my burger cooked. It has become a real chore with all the food scare paranoia to find a place that will serve a medium-medium rare burger the way I like them. The thick, hand pattied burger was cooked perfectly to order and served with Bigg Daddy's version of french fries-sliced into ovals rather than the everyday stick shape, and served nice and hot. Son devoured his quesadilla in record time and commented that it was as good or better than any he had ever had. A good lunch with good fast service. We left to explore a few other attractions in Helen and returned about 9 pm for the band.
My son had spied the Big Freaking Brownie on the menu earlier in the day and decided that would be a good dinner....he couldn't even finish it..the name is well deserved. The brownie comes topped with a hazelnut foam that really makes it a treat (I had to finish it-my duty as a father). The Wormsloew show was great (See Mountainfreak Music page). Bigg Daddy's derserves it's reputation as one of the best places in the mountains for music, beverages...and food.



No comments: