Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Kurt Thomas Packs Em in at Wylie's

I talked to a couple of lovely ladies who had driven all the way from Vinings to see Kurt Thomas do his thing inside the Down Under Bar at Wylie's in Dahlonega. Kurt apparently has quite a following, as I had to gingerly wedge myself into the bar to catch his first set on the day after Thanksgiving.

The crowd seem to be getting what they came for as Kurt and his bandmates played favorite covers of songs from Van Morrison, Johnny Cash, Pure Prairie League and more along with a couple of his own. I found myself thinking that he may be overdoing the cover songs a bit, as I have listened to and been impressed with his original country tinged ballads. If anyone else felt the same, we were in the minority as everyone really seemed to be enjoying themselves.
Kurt Thomas plays frequently in the north Georgia mountain area-and you can check out the music calendar here at Mountainfreak.net to see when he has dates scheduled. In the mean time, check out some of his original stuff on his MySpace page:

Kurt Thomas MySpace

No comments: