Monday, April 28, 2008

Wylie's in Dahlonega


I had the pleasure of dining and enjoying some good music with my son at Wylie's in downtown Dahlonega last weekend. The first thing that strikes you about Wylie's is the vintage three story building and how they have used the space to create three different atmospheres. The main restaurant is on the second (street level) floor, the third story with it's great view of the downtown square is used for larger parties and special events, and the downstairs houses a full service bar with tvs for sports viewing, the music stage and tables for drinking and dining. I didn't get a chance to ask the busy staff much about the history of the building, but with the plank floors, trim and high ceilings I would guess it to be around 100 years old if not older.
Wylie's has a varied dinner menu featuring but not limited to steaks, fish and seafood. The special while were were there was a mahi mahi dish that looked really good. We ate in the downstairs area, also known as "Wylie's Down Under", while watching the Fly Brothers set up for their show and some NCAA tourney action on the big screen. I had eaten a pretty big lunch earlier, so I wanted to keep it somewhat light for dinner. We started by splitting an order of fried jalapeno poppers (which led to an embarrassing moment involving hot cheese all over my arm which really amused my son) that were delicious. I ordered the "Southern Fried Chicken Salad" with some Greek dressing on the side and was able to sample some of the ribeye steak ordered by a friend who met us. I was really impressed with the steak, it was very tasty-made me second guess my choice of a "light" dinner. My light dinner was excellent as well..mixed fresh greens and tomatoes topped with chunks of well seasoned fried chicken. I only regret that I didn't order some of the fresh baked Portuguese bread to go along with the salad after seeing and smelling some of it being served at an adjacent table.






The Fly Brothers took the stage between 8:30-9:00 and put on a great show (see the Mountainfreak Music page). Overall it was a very enjoyable evening..good food, good music and excellent service. Wylie's serves Bass, Guinness, Sweetwater 420 and Bud light on tap along with a good selection of bottled beer. The downstairs bar is full service with a well rounded wine list . A lunch menu including burgers and sandwiches is available till 5 pm (except for Sundays). For more information see their website: www.wyliesrestaurant.com

Wylie's is located at 19 North Chestatee St, Dahlonega, GA 30533

Phone: 706.867.6324

No comments: