Monday, April 28, 2008

The World Famous Yonah Burger

Ok..maybe not "world" famous..but in the world around Cleveland and Helen in the north Georgia mountains, everybody knows about the Yonah Burger. For 40 years, the Yonah Burger restaurant has occupied the same spot on Georgia hwy 75 just north of Cleveland and in the shadow of Mt. Yonah. My father used to bring me here when I was a child-and very little has changed. It was a globally warmed 31 degrees with a little snow on the ground when I visited the Yonah Burger in early March on my way to Helen for a little hiking at Unicoi State Park-I needed some fuel. I didn't have to look at the menu, I ordered the Yonah Burger deluxe with fries for $3.99. Yonah burgers do not hit the grill until you place your order, no heat lamps or microwaves-just cooked to order on a very well seasoned steel griddle that imparts the flavor of every burger that has gone before, and that is a good thing. I had mine all the way and it was ready in about 5 minutes. The fries are sprinkled with a special seasoning salt as they come out of the deep fryer which helps distinguish them from your run of the mill burger joint fries. Service is quick and friendly and business is always brisk.
Burgers are not the only thing the Yonah Burger is "world" famous for...they serve a full breakfast that includes home made biscuits with "city" ham or "country" ham, bologna, tenderloin, steak, eggs, hot links and about 10 other options which can also be ordered on white bread toast as a sandwich. Biscuits and sandwiches run around $2 and a full plate breakfast can be had for less than $5. If you are not in the mood for a Yonah burger at lunch, other options include salads, hot dogs, deli sandwiches, bbq and chicken. Ice cream and shakes are also available. My one complaint with the Yonah Burger are their "world" famous fried pies...they are a tad greasy and the fruit filling comes out of a can..very average to me, but they have been serving and selling them since 1968 so I must be one of the few. The Yonah Burger is located at 2051 Helen Hwy. (GA 75), Cleveland, GA 30528. Phone-(706)865.4791

No comments: